This recipe is one of my favorites! I have learned it more than 10 years ago when I just moved to North America, and started watching Food Network. Anna Olson had a baking show that I watched a lot, and blueberries were unknown fruits to me as I have never had them before at the time. So, I saw this recipe on TV, and decided to try it out. I loved it so much that it became a family favorite, and I make it every 3-4 months.
The recipe essentially consists of three layers. The first layer is the dough, then the berries, and then the streusel topping. The beauty of this recipe is that you can mix and match the parts, using different berries or fruit, and changing the dough recipe for your favorite. The streusel topping can also be modified by adding cereal, or muesli, or other crunchy mix that you would use for crumble cakes of your choice. Anyway, it is also great as it is, and that is how I prefer making it.
The great feature of this recipe is also that it is made of very regular ingredients that most people already have in the pantry except for the blueberries. So, whenever I get blueberries at the store in season, I always make this recipe as it is so easy to make, and I always have the ingredients on hand.
A funny story about this recipe is that once I made it for my daughter’s school, and it was supposed to have been purchased piece by piece. However, someone bought it before the bake sale even started, and that was quite unusual! The pie does have great looks about it – see for yourself.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups blueberries
- Streusel Topping
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 º F.
- Cream together butter and sugar until pale yellow and creamy. Add egg and vanilla and beat on.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add Alternately with milk until incorporated. Scrape batter into cake pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle blueberries on top of batter.
- In small bowl blend sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter with your fingers until crumbly and no large bits of butter are visible. Sprinkle on top of berries.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Allow to cool Before serving.