Brought to you by Dr Pepper® and Albertsons Companies.
With school in season now, our family is getting prepared adding a few fresh tailgating ideas to our usual menu. We love Dr Pepper® so much we have decided to make a special sauce with it today – a showstopper for any tailgating party! Hope you enjoy this Dr Pepper Mole Sauce recipe that I have created today – such a simple sauce, so versatile, and can work with so many different recipe ideas!
I wanted to create a recipe today based on what I happen to have in my fridge, and experiment a little bit with some new and also familiar ingredients.
I have had mole in some of the best restaurants before but I couldn’t eat very much because it was just too hot for me. However, I have heard so much about it that I just wanted to try making it myself, adjusting it to my taste, and utilizing some of the shortcuts that I have developed in my cooking. I also wanted to take advantage of all of the amazing fall produce that we have now in season here.
I chose to make this Dr Pepper Mole Sauce recipe because Dr Pepper we love Dr Pepper, and, as a bonus, the college football cans were recently on sale at our Albertsons store. There is also a special promotion going on for tailgating parties and the football season.
- Right now, if you buy any 2 Dr Pepper12-Pack 12oz Cans, 6-Pack 16.9oz Bottles or 8-Pack 12oz Bottles and text FANGEAR to 811811, you can get a $5 Fanatics promo code offer for your game day gear. Follow instructions to send a photo of your receipt to get a $5 Fanatics promo code. For more information go to www.GameTimeFanGear.com
I wanted to make this Dr Pepper Mole Sauce because I think it is actually perfect for parties – it can be served warm or even room temperature over any favorite protein, either with rice, or on a tortilla, with salad, beans, or any type of side that you may have – it is so versatile. This is the first time I made this Dr Pepper Mole Sauce, and I had my reservations. I was planning to just make it for my husband, as he is usually the one who orders mole, and I just wanted to try a bit of it. I ended up eating 3 plates full of food covered in this mole sauce it was so good!
Starting today this new recipe, I have created, is going to be my favorite American classic. It combines so many of my favorite ingredients – chocolate, tomatoes, and Dr Pepper, of course.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 assorted fresh hot peppers
- 2 flour tortillas
- 1 tomato
- 3 tomatillos
- 2 teaspoons of duck fat
- ½ onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 TBSP chopped peanuts
- 3 TBSP of raisins
- 1 TBSP cumin seeds
- ½ TBSP dried thyme
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- a pinch of whole cloves and allspice
- 2 ounces of chocolate
- 1 can of Dr Pepper
- salt to taste
- Sweat hot peppers in oil for a few minutes until they are cooked.
- Heat up chicken broth and blend together with peppers.
- Toast tortillas and blend in with the chicken broth mix.
- Cut tomatoes and tomatillos in half, and cook on a skillet for a few minutes until they are softened. Add to the blender mixture, and blend it well.
- Toast spices, raisins, peanuts and onions in lard. Remove large chunks of spices that are removable, and blend the onions with the rest of the blended sauce mixture.
- Add Dr. Pepper, melted chocolate and salt.
- Serve mole sauce over your protein or rice dish. Enjoy!
Have you ever made mole sauce before? What do you usually serve it with? What other recipes have you cooked with Dr Pepper?
Try this sauce, and you will be pleasantly surprised that despite many different steps, this sauce is extremely simple to make, and oh-so delicious! Enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links.